And so we wait...

[caption id="attachment_405" align="alignright" width="225"]Heather Heather cuddles with Scottie Dad while she waits for her results.[/caption]

When Heather got sick, she was extremely lethargic. The amount of water she drank increased a bit and soon, she began having accidents every two hours. Thinking it was a mere bladder infection, I took her to the vet on a Saturday morning, only to discover we had a much bigger problem on our hands.

Fast forward three weeks and Heather is still on four different medications twice a day. Her liver values (at last count) were around 700 and 2000 respectively. While she was still out of the normal range (around 100), the vet seemed optimistic her values would continue to lower with time and medication.

Today's visit with the vet went relatively smooth. We were in and out within an hour and the vet said she looks good. The blood work was sent out this time instead of being processed in-house (not sure why) and the vet said it usually takes a few days to get the results back so we should know something definitive soon.

The good news is that the vet believes after a full month of medications, there is a possibility Heather's values will stabilize and we won't need another checkup for another three to six months. The bad news is we still don't know the cause or how to prevent another occurrence. So, keep your fingers crossed, everyone - we should know more in a day or two!


  1. I'm glad that she's stable, and she is so darn cute!

  2. Wishing her well !!

  3. Hope she feels well soon!!
    Hate it when they pinpoint e cause. Anyway, Scotties are troopers so she will get through this!

  4. Did the vet do an ultrasound? My scotties liver enzymes were very high and it turned out she had an enlarged gallbladder. Please have an ultra sound immediately!

  5. Hey Ginger - yes, they both had ultrasounds. Mr. K actually had two done. Heather's showed a number of enlarged organs, including gall bladder, if I remember correctly. The vet seemed confident that so long as the blood values continue to stabilize with the help of medications, Heather should recover in a few weeks. Those blood work results should come in any day now. Will keep everyone updated!