In honor of Scottie Health Awareness Day, we have a Heather health update for you. Simply put: we're on the hunt for a new V-E-T again. You may recall that in the midst of buying The Scottie House, Heather had to return the V-E-T for Cushing's testing. The results came back showing she did not have Cushing's after all. However, what she does have isn't entirely clear to me, either. What I do know is that her gallbladder is abnormal. The V-E-T had talked about seeing "sludge" in Heather's gallbladder when we had the first ultrasound done. She gave me the option of putting her on a drug that had many, many side effects and could increase her chances of liver cancer, if I remember correctly. Naturally, I opted to monitor the situation with routine testing instead of putting Heather on additional medication.
Now that we know it isn't Cushing's and there is still an unknown cause for the recent spike in liver values, the V-E-T recommended (via email, I might add - the somewhat impersonal way I found out about all her recent test results) Ursodiol, a drug used to prevent gallstones and to treat chronic liver problems. I feel like the name of this drug sounds familiar but I simply cannot remember if this is the one the V-E-T first told me about with all the side effects. I've seen a few Scottie Moms mention Ursodiol before so I thought I'd take this one to the group for feedback.
The reason we're on the hunt yet again for a V-E-T doesn't have to do with the recommendation for Ursodiol so much as it does with the fact that I believe Heather (and I) deserve better. From the start, there wasn't any trust when the V-E-T ordered a test I specifically asked her not to until we saw results from another set of tests. Then, they refused to refund the hundreds of dollars when I disputed the matter. After that, it was a constant game of not-so-merry go round of testing as the V-E-T played her losing hand at guessing. I will never forget when I found the lump that turned out to be liposarcoma and I came in for a visit and the V-E-T forgot to check it out before she left for her next appointment. We had to wait until our next appointment (for Heather's dental) a week or so later to get it looked at and at that point, it was time for surgery.
Alas, it wasn't all bad. A part of me feels so incredibly grateful for this V-E-T since she did take all the cancer out of my baby girl that I'm nearly guilt tripping myself into sticking with the V-E-T. However, I feel we need to seek another opinion especially as the move places us an hour away or more. Recommendations for V-E-T-S who are good with Scotties in the Atlanta area are certainly welcome. Here's to good Scottie health and finding answers for my girl!