We all know that once you own a Scottish Terrier, you are owned by a Scottish Terrier! Scottie Moms (and Dads!) have a habit of becoming breed fanatics and devote much of their time, energy and affection toward making their little one the happiest and healthiest he or she can be. It is evidenced by this site and the group of loyal Scottie lovers that follow the Scottie Mom adventures that we are a passionate group when it comes to matters of the Scottish Terrier.
Outside of this group, however, it appears our beloved breed isn't as popular as it was once was and falls behind quite a few others on American Kennel Club's breed rankings. In 2002, Scotties were ranked as the 43rd most popular breed (out of about 173). In 2015, they dropped to the 58th place. How can a breed so beloved by its owners be so far down the popularity totem pole?
The answer is simple: Scottish Terriers aren't for everyone and popularity tests are overrated. It is a classic case of quality over quantity when it comes to those of us who love Scotties. We may be few and far between but our passion runs deep. And, in celebration of Scottie Love everywhere, the Scottie Mom Scotties put together a list of the top 10 reasons to love Scottish Terriers.
- We pay back...with interest! For every minute you dedicate to us, every ounce of affection devoted to us and every dollar spent on us, we give back 10 times your initial investment in reciprocated love, loyalty and laughs. Now, that's a smart investment!
- We keep you safe. By birthright, every Scottish Terrier is a member of Scottie Security. It's in our blood to patrol your land and look out for evil squirrels, cats or generally bad guys. We're always on alert and will let you know if something doesn't feel right.
- We provide entertainment. Keep a good squeaky toy or tennis ball around and you'll find out just how many laughs you can get out of just a few minutes of crazy Scottie play time. Research shows that laughter is really good for human health, by the way.
- We're adventurous. Life with a Scottish Terrier is never dull. In fact, we're really good at encouraging our humans to check out new things. What can we say? Our zest for life and curiosity for the unexplored is contagious!
- We're iconic. Have you seen all the merchandise out there with Scotties on it?
- We keep you healthy. Can anyone say walkies? Best way ever to stay fit.
- We're fashionable...for any season. Scotties never go out of style. Just ask Radley.
- We're both man's and woman's best friend. We're cool with the guys while still being pretty darn good with the ladies as well. Oh, and whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend obviously never had a Scottish Terrier in their life.
- We know what you're going through. And we have our way of empathizing with you and being there for support. Then, when you least expect it, we'll try every trick in the book to get you smiling again because where there's a happy human, there's an even happier Scottie.
- We're all the bundles of joy you'll ever need. Ask any Scottie Mom and they'll tell you: we're just as pawesome as a human child, just without the mess of diapers! Let a Scottie into your heart and you'll know no stronger love in your lifetime. Scot's honor!