I have a confession to make: I put off holiday shopping for too long. I'm not a fan of Black Friday shopping or aimlessly perusing retail stores (unless, of course, I'm on a mission to find Scottie stuff!). This year, I've been compelled more than ever to purchase holiday gifts that matter, especially those that give back. I have so much to be thankful for and I challenge myself daily to think hard about what I need versus what I want. If it is something I need, I buy it. If it is something I want, I resolve to purchase something someone else needs. It is simply a better way to live.
Knowing we Scottie Moms are animal lovers at heart, I set out to create a short list of holiday gifts that give back to help those of us who procrastinated a bit but still want to buy a gift that counts and for those of us who are determined to make a difference in the world in everything we do.
- Shop the Best Friends Store for anything from clothing and accessories to pet gear and gifts for the home. Best Friends Animal Society, a leader in the no-kill movement, works with rescue groups and shelters to end the unnecessary killing of cats and dogs in shelters. The Best Friends Store has a wide selection of gift options from which to choose and you also can make a symbolic gift or purchase a membership for your loved one.
- Pick up a copy of Susie's Senior Dogs (and if you don't already, follow them on Facebook). Thousands of people fell in love with Susie, her humans and now, the furry siblings she's left behind to keep her mission to find safe and loving homes for senior dogs everywhere alive. The book is a collection of heart-warming stories of just some of the dogs Susie and her humans matched with a forever home. Having purchased the book myself, I have nothing but positive things to say about this publication!
- For a gift that indulges and does good in the world, try Lush Charity Pot. With every purchase of the Charity Pot, Lush donates 100% of the price (excluding taxes) to organizations supporting environmental conservation, animal welfare and human rights efforts. As a recipient of this gift (thanks, Marcy!) and a regular Lush customer, I personally vouch for this one.
- Share the Scottie love by supporting fundraising efforts by Scottish Terrier rescue groups. Scottish Terrier Rescue of Tennessee has their annual calendar sale featuring a handful of Scottie rescue alumni who are now living happily ever after in safe and loving homes! Check with your local Scottish Terrier rescue group to see how you can support their efforts with a gift made in a loved one's honor.
- I personally love this next idea for the little ones (but animal-loving adults will like it as well!). By adopting a species through the World Wildlife Fund, you receive a plush, stuffed animal representative of the species you've adopted. I personally received this gift in years past and plan on continuing the tradition by adopting species in honor of my niece (and future Scottie Mom!) to teach her about wildlife preservation and why it is important to give back.
Tell us: what great gifts that give back have you purchased this year?