Where do I even begin? The short version of a very long and tiresome story is that Heather did NOT have surgery today after all. Our hope is she will be rescheduled for tomorrow morning pending some additional (and likely, unnecessary) test results expected to come in around 8 a.m. I got the initial call about two hours after I dropped Heather off at the V-E-T for her scheduled surgery saying her blood glucose level remained low and they wanted to consult with the specialist we had seen a month prior to this event before moving forward. Only problem was: he was out of the office. A half day and a lot of back and forth later, I realized the surgery Heather needed was just not going to happen so I jumped in the car and drove 45 minutes to go pick my girl up.
As if surgery day isn't already upsetting and stressful enough, I was (and still am) struggling to understand why the service I had scheduled was not performed and why I now had to jump through the hoops of even more testing to get clearance for a surgery that was already requested by another V-E-T. I won't bother with all the details as I'm sure every Scottie Mom and Dad has dealt with this before...You take your fur kid to the V-E-T for A, end up being tested for B, C and D, and end up paying a fortune in the name of "playing it safe." Veterinary care draws a fine line between necessity and extortion these days. Tomorrow, we should get confirmation that the latest battery of "extra precautionary" test results are in and that she is able to undergo anesthesia. Meanwhile, I take some comfort knowing Heather will be in the care of another V-E-T at another facility.